|A Tray full of goodness - Roasted Olive Studded Leg of Lamb|
"Dima - i think your touch in food has entered many kitchens this Ramadan creating such a fun atmosphere :)" - Samah Abu Ghazaleh's message to me as she was making her Appetisers Buffet from (previous post)
|Tips for best roasting results|
- The base is good quality ingredients. Any food that will turn out fabulous must start with good quality produce. Pick the freshest meats possible, the best cuts possible and follow through with the rest of the ingredients.
- Buy a heat proof meat thermometer. I don't know why the word thermometer scares people! Every time I say it I find faces staring back at me with a certain panic! It is a very simple non-dangerous kitchen gadget that can guarantee best results, always! This is how you know that you have cooked your meat just right; not over nor under! The best meat thermometer for roasts is that which can be inserted before the cooking and can go in the oven. (See tip below on how to use a meat thermometer for roasts)
- Slow cooking is always best with roasts. A medium oven and time are the best ingredients for roasts. This way the meat is not forced into submission, rather eased into it. Allowing the meat to slowly release its juices, keeping it moist and tender.
- Meat cuts on the bone always result in more tender and richer flavoured roasts. I always prefer on-the-bone cuts for roasting.
- Cuts on the bone do not necessarily need to be placed on a rack, They can be placed straight on the baking tray. However boneless roasts do need to be placed on a rack to allow circulation of heat and avoid burning the bottom before the rest of the piece is cooked through.
- Always place the meat fat-side upwards.
- The heat is almost always on medium 325F, however some cuts do require higher temperatures. Most recipes will tell you the required temperature, but if not it is safe to guess the above temperature. This is also why it is important to have a meat thermometer.
- The time required to cook a roast can never be generalised. It all depends on the type of meat, the cut of meat, the size (weight of the piece), whether there is bone or without...etc. (see the chart below for guidelines on roasting whole on-the-bone leg of lamb )
- The method of roasting does not require covering the meat while in the oven, that is a different method that relies on the build up of steam. You also do not need to add water or liquids to your roasts, also another cooking method, which I will dedicate a post for. Roasts are uncovered, dry cooked meats, where we rely on the meats juices and fats for moistness.
- Remove the roast 5 degrees lower than the desired final doneness. Residual cooking will raise the temperature to the proper degree.
- Roasts must rest at room temperature after done for at least 15 minutes. This will release the extra juices instead of bleeding on the serving plate. The roast continues to cook through this time due to residual heat.
|Roasting Whole leg of Lamb Chart - for both medium rare and medium doneness|
If you want very well done although not advisable add 15 minutes to the medium doneness overall time
|Plated Roasted Leg of Lamb|
|Vegetables mixed with Date Saba mixture|
ready for roasting
|Make incisions and fill them with olives and garlic.|
|Date Saba Mixture|
|Place the roasted vegetables in a separate dish|
|rest the roasted meat for|
15 minutes before serving
|Plated Leg of lamb|
|Express Grill giveaway sponsored by Citruss TV|
As you have figured, I am so happy to announce that CitrussTV have sponsored three fabulous giveaways for Dima's Kitchen Blog Readers. This fabulous Express Grill, a Beko Turkish Coffee Maker and the amazing ThermoChef Machine.
Follow this link for giveaways details and how to enter the draw. Come back tomorrow for more of Dima's Kitchen Ramadan Special. Don't forget to take photos of recipes you cook from this blog, share them with me and hopefully you will win one of the 10 amazing giveaways I have in store for you :) Leave me a comment before you go, you know I like to hear from you...
Don't forget to like CitrussTV Facebook page, they are loving you with all these giveaways