It is Thanksgiving, so let me start by saying Happy Thanksgiving to you all :) Are you all ready and turkeys ready for the oven? Well then, you can always add a delicious side to turkey and how about the orange pumpkins and squash for the side? Pumpkins and the varieties of Winter Squash are all in season right now, so why not make the best of these fabulous tasting vegetables?
Here are 5 very simple and easy ways that work very well with pumpkin and squash:
1. Gruyere & Pumpkin bake Peel and deseed the pumpkin, cut it into wedges and place in baking dish. Pour over enough cooking cream to bearly cover the wedges. Season well with salt, black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Cover with foil and cook in 450F oven until a knife can easily go through the pumpkin wedges, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven, remove the foil and top with with a generous layer of grated Gruyere cheese and bake in preheated oven until golden and bubbly.
2. Butternut Squash Risotto Roast cubes of butternut, sprinkled with olive oil, seasoned with salt and black pepper until softened. While the cubes are roasting, make a simple risotto. When the rice is just cooked, stir in the roasted squash cubes and sprinkle with chopped sage and grated Parmesan Cheese. Serve hot.
3. Roasted Wedges Cut peeled squash into wedges, place on a lined baking sheet. Mix a little bit of cinnamon powder and cumin with some sea salt and rub into the squash wedges. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in a hot oven, until tender and slightly charred.
4. Mash Steam equal quantities of potato and pumpkin or any type squash until tender. Mash well, mix with equal quantities milk and cream, and season with salt, black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Fold in some halved toasted hazelnuts. Serve warm.
5. Make a curried soup Fry a chopped onion in vegetable oil or butter until softened. Add curry paste and cubed, peeled squash and mix to coat. Pour in coconut milk and vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the squash is tender. Season to taste and blend into a smooth soup.
- While you are it, why not serve a pumpkin pie for dessert too? here is a link for the recipe.
- If you are looking for succulent Turkey recipes, then look no more here are the best 2 recipes ever! Brined Turkey, Roasted Turkey :))
Enjoy your time and count your blessings.
It is a fabulous feeling to always be thankful for all the blessings we have :))