Dubai’s top Italian restaurants compete in Pasta Premiere League
for the title: “Dubai’s Best Pasta”
Today at the Speciality Food Festival, the finalist pasta chefs who qualified on October 24th are gathering to compete live in the Finals of the Pasta Premiere League. From the Early morning, they will prepare their stations, cook their best Pasta dish for a panel of jury and voting audience hoping to win the title, Dubai's Best Pasta. This will mark the conclusion of a journey they have started at the beginning of 2015, preparing in order to win their restaurants the boasting rights of serving the city's best pasta.
The competition started on Saturday 24th October, where 15 of the top Italian restaurants were competing to qualify for the Final of the Pasta Premiere League. Watch the qualification video on this link. This competition is organized by the Italian Cuisine World Summit as part of the program of its 7th edition taking place in Dubai (27 October - 5 November 2015).
The qualifications took place at the Emirates Academy For Hospitality Management. This was the first round of competition to shortlist the 5 restaurants that will compete in the finals, which will take place on Friday 28th October 2015, at the Speciality Food Festival – World Trade Centre 27-29 October). This competition is definitely another highlight of this year’s Speciality Food Festival, as attending guests will get to watch the finalists compete live for the title, and will also get to taste the pasta. And if that was not enough, then attendees will also get a say in who wins as they will vote for their favourite!
The level of talent present at the Emirate’s Academy kitchen that morning was outstanding, and each one of the chefs served an impressive dish and some even awed the jury. They were all so closely rated that the judges declared it was a very close call and it boiled down to “what was missing rather than what was present”.
“It is easy to impress the judges with adding more things on the plate, more decorations, more ingredients, the use of flowers…etc. But what really matters in the end is the soul of the dish. It is the simplicity of the dish that matters, because Italian Cuisine is a simple cuisine and not built on complexity as is the case with some other cuisines. That is what makes all the difference in the critique and judging criteria.” Said the President of The Jury, Maurizio Pelli who is a an Italian Food Writer and private chef.
The five restaurants shorted listed for the final competition are:
- Toscana, Chef Sciotti Michele – “Pasta linguine cacao and pepper with Sicilian red prawns and lime”
- Roberto’s, Chef Sameera Namal – “Spaghetti cacio e pepe (cheese and pepper) revised (carbonara)”
- L’olivo, Chef Aigerim Aitbayeva – “Mazara’s red prawns, baby calamary spillo, Bronte’s pistachio sauce and borrage”
- Per Te, Chef Shiyas – “Tagliatelle with pigeon ragout, pinenuts and celery di piccione”
- Casa Mia, Rozario Clifford – “Linguine ‘risottate’ with seafood
The Jury Panel selecting the finalists are:
- · Mr Stefano Ferretti, Academia della Cucina Italiana - Dubai
- · Chef Gianluigi Gerosa, VP Culinary Development at Kerzner International
- · Chef Michael Kitts, Emirates Academy for Hospitality Management
- · Mr. Maurizio Pelli. President of the Jury, Food Writer and Private Chef
- · Mrs. Maria Luisa Panzica Italian Food Expert
Today, not only will the panel of jury include more members, but also attending guests who will watch the final competition will also be tasting the pasta and vote for their favorites.
All participating Restaurants in the Risotto Qualifications: Alta Badia, Segreto, Casa Mia, L’Olivo, Cavalli, Bice, Bice Mare, Frankie’s, Prego, Positano, Roberto’s, Eataly, Per Te, Sapori di Bice, Toscana.
Good Luck to the 5 finalists!
I will leave you with some pics from the qualifications...