These oven roasted half-sliced potatoes are an amazing way to prepare potatoes, where you get the crispiness and texture of salted crisps, yet are able to flavour them with whatever flavour you are into that day. They are not deep fried, therefore are light and won’t leave you feeling heavy. They are in fact very light and are the perfect side dish to meats from steaks, to poultry, fish and even game.
The thin slicing of the potato without fully cutting the slice off the base, also makes them look gorgeous on the plate. Not only that, but also aids in the fast cooking of these potatoes.
When it comes to flavours; keep an open mind. Think spices, salts, herbs, aromatics…etc anything can lend you flavour, and everything added is a layer of flavour. You can even go for combinations, just be creative and follow the overall flavours of your main meal. Think that the flavours of the potatoes have to compliment and bring out the flavours of the meat dish on its side.
My best loved oven roasted potato flavourings
- DS Pickled Organic Zaatar, Salt and black pepper.
- DS Red Shatta, black pepper (these come out beautifully browned and have ana amazing kick to them)
- DS Organic Dried Zaatar Mix, DS Sumac, DS Premium Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- DS Smoked Shatta, DS Premium Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I like serving these next to stewed black beans or my favourite Vegan Black Bean Chilli (recipe on this link)
- Finely chopped coriander, finely chopped green chilli, roughly chopped garlic, olive oil, salt & black pepper
- Paprika, salt
- Onion powder, olive oil, salt and black pepper, and finely chopped parsley
- Tarragon, balsamic vinegar, rind of orange, olive oil
- Rosemary, Roughly chopped garlic, olive oil, salt & black pepper
- Soy sauce, mirin sauce, sesame oil, honey, orange juice and sesame seeds
You can experiment and come up with a million flavourings for these potatoes…